top of page
  • barnesstormers1

Match Report | Millwall Romans 4 - 2 Barnes Stormers FC

Barnes Stormers came up short once again to Millwall Romans losing 4-2 on Sunday.

On a very grey Sunday morning, Barnes Stormers returned to East London for a rematch against Millwall Romans. This week's squad featured a few returning faces and a new goalkeeper, George, on trial with the club.

Fresh from a 4-3 win the previous weekend in the Dylan Rigobert Trophy, Barnes were keen to start with the same team as the previous week to continue that form. With goalkeeper Billy Nicolau having retired, Conor Rooney unfortunately being unavailable and Abdi late as ever, there were a three forced changes to the side with new keeper George trialling in goal for the first time, Joseph coming for Abdi whilst Rhys came into the defence which meant a slight reshuffle of positions.

This re-shuffle may be the cause of the first goal that led to the Roman's forward cutting in between the two centre backs to slot home early on. After that wake up call Barnes were straight back to it playing some great football and really keeping hold of the ball and moving it around well. However it was when it got to the final third that the the Stormers seemed to let themselves down by not getting enough service into strikers George Fry and Nuno. Another well taken goal by the Romans and Barnes found themselves 2-0 down. This spurred the lads on and they responded in the perfect way by getting straight back up the pitch and putting the ball in the opponents net. Nuno making sure to bundle the ball over the line at the back post making the score 2-1 at half time.

The teams returned and Barnes were slow out of the blocks. Abdi made it onto the pitch with Kai also on for Nuno. Despite the attempts to bring more life to the game, the long balls up top were taking their toll on the forwards and it just wasnt quite working for the boys. Another goal for Millwall and Barnes found themselves 3-1 down. A break in play with a Roman dislocating his finger meant Jacko had time to sub himself off an mix the team up slightly bringing Joseph back on the pitch out wide. It had a short term effect with a freekick being won by Barnes about 25 yards out from the opposition goal. Having scored a freekick the previous week and Nuno still on the sidelines, Lleyton of course stepped up and dutifully drove his shot low past the keeper. A small glimmer of hope for Barnes in the final few minutes.

Millwall however retaliated and a long ball beat the last defender for a forward to run onto and beat the goalkeeper. Despite Nuno coming back on up top for George Fry (who despite not scoring had run his legs off), there was not enough gas left in the tank for Barnes to storm forwards and grab any more goals. The game finished 4-2 with Barnes very much rueing missed chances and opportunities having dominated large passages of play.

31 views0 comments


bottom of page